Monday 14 March 2016

Ship models

Above: I designed and built this model ship in 1958 at age 14. My concept of a curved-hull battleship was for aeronautical speed and to deflect shells and torpedoes. It was carved from a piece of wood cut from the edge of my mother's ironing board - to her incredulity.


Above: A tugboat, built by my friend Monty Shearer, in 1959 also at age 14. Monty gave it to me when he left Johannesburg for Cape Town in 1961. I admired it so much, thought it so accurate, capturing the characteristic shape of a tugboat despite being made from scraps and bits and pieces. For a couple of  years then my brother Mike, Monty and I, played with our home-built model boats in dams and rivers made in our parent's gardens.

© Patrick O’Brien. Nothing from this page can be used without the permission of Patrick E. O’Brien.

No comments:

Post a Comment